Bluesky: The Rising Twitter Alternative
Bluesky is quickly gaining popularity as a top contender in the race for the best Twitter alternative. Created by former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, this decentralized, invite-only social network offers an easy-to-use platform and provides users with a high degree of control over their timeline. Unlike Twitter, Bluesky still allows headlines to display with links. With the recent closure of Pebble/T2, another Twitter alternative, Bluesky is poised to see another spike in popularity.
Add Bluesky to Your Social Media Management System
Many users are eager to integrate Bluesky into their social media management system, and the addition of Bluesky as a channel in Buffer is a highly requested feature. The Buffer team is currently working on making this feature available. To stay updated on their progress, you can visit Buffer Suggestions, their transparent feature request system.
A Convenient Workaround Using Shortcuts
While waiting for Bluesky integration with Buffer, there is a handy workaround that you can use. Buffer CEO Joel Gascoigne and Staff Product Manager Brandon Green have discovered a simple solution using the iOS app, Shortcuts. This workaround not only allows you to cross-post content from another platform to Bluesky but also enables you to schedule that content with Buffer.
Shortcuts, an app by Apple, creates a way for your apps to communicate with each other, allowing you to automate various actions. By utilizing Shortcuts, Joel and Brandon have developed a shortcut called “Multipost to Buffer” that enables you to choose any Buffer channel (including Mastodon and Twitter) to cross-post to Bluesky. The shortcut also checks the character count to ensure it stays within Bluesky’s 300-character limit.
How to Set Up the Multipost With Buffer Shortcut
In order to use the “Multipost With Buffer” shortcut, you will need:
- An iPhone (sorry, Android users!)
- A Buffer account with at least one of your social channels connected
- The Buffer app on your phone
- The Bluesky app on your phone (optional, but handy for checking your content)
Here are the steps to set up the shortcut:
- Open the shortcut on your iPhone: You can find the “Multipost to Buffer” shortcut here. Once opened, tap “Set up Shortcut”.
- Connect the Buffer channel: Under “Configure This Shortcut”, choose the Buffer channel you want to cross-post to Bluesky. Options include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or Mastodon. Tap “Next” when done.
- Enter your Bluesky handle: Go to the Bluesky app or website and copy your handle (without the ‘@’ sign). Paste it into the text box in the shortcut configuration screen. Tap “Next” when done.
- Enter your Bluesky-generated password: Generate an app password in the Bluesky app or website, and copy it. Paste the password into the text box in the shortcut configuration screen. Tap “Add Shortcut” to complete the setup.
- Create a post in Shortcuts: Open the “Multipost to Buffer” shortcut and type in your post. Tap “Done” when finished.
- Approve access to Buffer: Grant the shortcut access to Buffer when prompted. This step only needs to be done once.
- Choose when to send the update: Select Share now, Share Next, or Add to Queue to determine when your post will be sent. Choose Share Next or Add to Queue if you want to schedule your posts for later.
- Allow Multipost with Buffer to connect to Bluesky: Grant the shortcut permission to send your post to Bluesky when prompted.
From now on, posting to Bluesky with Buffer will be a breeze using the “Multipost With Buffer” shortcut. Simply open the shortcut, enter your post, and choose when to share it. Your post will appear on the Buffer social channel you selected during the setup and on Bluesky.
Bluesky is gaining traction as a top Twitter alternative, offering a decentralized and user-friendly platform. While waiting for Bluesky integration with Buffer, you can use the “Multipost With Buffer” shortcut created by Buffer CEO Joel Gascoigne and Staff Product Manager Brandon Green. This shortcut allows you to cross-post and schedule content from various platforms to Bluesky. Follow the steps outlined above to set up the shortcut and enjoy seamless posting to Bluesky with Buffer.
No, currently the shortcut is only available for iPhones. The Buffer team is working on alternative workarounds for Android users.
No, the current version of the shortcut only supports text-only posts. It does not support video or image sharing.
Yes, you can edit the post or change the publish time in Buffer. The post will still be shared to Bluesky at the updated time.